Everyone remembers their first build. It’s an unforgettable experience that will live on with you forever - no matter how many rides you build over the years. Taylor Sprayberry recently finished creating his dream weekend warrior Jeep and loved every moment of the experience. Nicknamed “Hyper Active,” the 20-year-old Sprayberry knew he’d want his 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ to be a beast on the trails, but also wanted it to be practical enough for daily driving and decided on a clean build rather than something over the top.
“The Jeep was chosen because of all the different build routes and capabilities of the vehicle,” he explains. “A Jeep is a vehicle category of its own and it can’t be compared to a car or a truck. It’s simply one of a kind. Using Monster Energy as inspiration, I thought what better name than ‘Hyper Active’ since it's an energy drink and the Jeep is always hyped up for whatever I throw at it - whether it's a show or a tough, rugged off-road adventure!”
Unlike many seasoned builders that like to create renderings of what their projects could look like, Sprayberry designed the Jeep in his head. He knew the exact look he wanted and went after making it a reality with gumption.
“It mainly started out with the products that I thought were the best fit for the build. That changed when I came across Rough Country and their products. Most of the products on the rig are from Rough Country, and I liked how suitable they were for what I wanted. Shortly after Rough Country began to support me, I was able to find other products that complemented the look I was going for.”
Such Rough Country products that adorn Sprayberry’s ride include the lift, track bars, front bumper, winch and front winch plate LED bar bracket and 50” LED bar bracket. Skidz Jeep & 4x4 (Hot Springs, AR) installed the lift and did a wide-track Dana 44 axle swap using brackets and trusses from Artec Industries, which also happens to be one of the biggest compliments off-road enthusiasts give him about the Jeep. LED Concepts provide his TJ superior lighting with their 50” LED bar with halo, 32” LED bar, 12” LED bar and the headlight halos, with the headlights constructed by TS Lighting – one of his favorite additions.
For the most part, people love Sprayberry’s first build - with its 1997 Jeep TJ graphics airbrushed by Hanson’s Custom Painting - and often congratulate him on such a clean off-road Jeep despite being a novice. But then there are those haters who criticize it, which Sprayberry notes that he’s okay with since it still means his Jeep is getting attention, whether good or bad.
“The Jeep could always be better if I had the money to invest in it,” he admits. “But with what I’ve put into it I could not be happier with the way it looks and rides now.” The Jeep made has made its rounds on the show circuit (including the 2015 DUB Show Tour Dallas stop, where it won 1st place for best Jeep) and is now being used as Sprayberry’s daily driver and weekend toy, having been tested at Hot Springs ORV Park in Arkansas a few times where it lived up to many Level 4 trails with a high difficulty level. “Even though it’s a daily driver, the Jeep holds its own very well on rugged or rocky terrain,” he says.
As of now, this is the fourth year of the build and according to Sprayberry it will never be finished. “I will always strive to make it better with every opportunity I get.” With a newfound love for customizing, Sprayberry is already working on his next project – a 1983 Jeep J10 build, which he hopes is just as awesome as “Hyper Active.”
GEAR: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJExterior
- Airbrushed graphics by Hanson’s Custom Painting
- Rough Country front bumper and winch
- E-Autogrilles rear bumper and rock sliders
- OffGrip Jeep Accessories front winch cable strap
- Bushwacker custom-cut fender flares
- Body Armor trail doors
- Custom LED lighting by LED Concepts (50” light bar with halo mounted with Rough Country
- 50” brackets, 32” light bar, and 12” light bar mounted with Rough Country fairlead bracket)
- LED taillights
- Custom headlights built by TS Lighting using LED Concepts 7” halos, and 4 LED cubes for rock lights all wired to The Onyx Box relay system
- Rugged Ridge roll bar padding and carpet kit
- Custom stereo w/ Kicker Audio dash/door speakers
- Rockford Fosgate amp and subwoofers
- Pioneer head unit
- Custom upholstered interior by Flanagan’s Upholstery
- Painted dash
- OffGrip Jeep Accessories handles
- Spiderweb Shade
- 22x14 custom-painted Fuel Throttles
- 37x13.50R22 Fuel Off-Road Mud Grippers M/T tires
- Rough Country 6” long arm lift kit w/ Fox Racing 2.0 shocks installed by Skidz Offroad
- 4.0 inline 6, 5-speed manual transmission
- NP231 transfer case
- AEM cold air intake
- Rough Country throttle body spacers, headers and front diff guard
- Magnaflow muffler
- 4.88 Yukon Gear & Axle ring and pinion gears
- Wide track Dana 44 axles
- Artec Industries trusses, gussets, spring perches, and track bar mount
- Rough Country Slip Yoke Eliminator and driveshaft all installed by Skidz Offroad
Rough Country | RoughCountry.com • Artec Industries | ArtecIndustries.com • Magnaflow | Magnaflow.com • AEM | AEMElectronics.com • Fox Racing | FoxHead.com • Kicker | Kicker.com • Rockford Fosgate | RockfordFosgate.com • Fuel Off-Road | FuelOffroad.com • Pioneer | PioneerElectronics.com • Rugged Ridge | RuggedRidge.com • SpiderwebShade | Spiderwebshade.com • LED Concepts | LEDConceptslighting.com • Bushwacker | Bushwacker.com • Skidz Jeep & 4x4 | Skidz4x4.com